Collapsed Chimney May Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Author – Ron Herman

Your gas furnace and fireplace use updrafts to vent gas out of the home. 

When chimneys are in disrepair, the updraft stops working. Gas can seep into your home, and that poses a serious danger for your family. Deadly carbon monoxide gas can seep into your home, and it will silently poison your family. 

It’s important to have your chimney inspected and invest in chimney repair to protect your home and your loved ones.

A Real Danger

Whether you have a gas furnace flue or a wood burning fireplace flue, it’s important to keep them in excellent condition. It is reported that there are more than 25,000 chimney fires in the United States every year, and they cause more than 125 million dollars in damage. Chimney fires are often the result of creosote build-up in the chimneys of wood-burning furnaces and fireplaces. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also occur as the result of a collapsed chimney flue.

What is a Collapsed Flue?

If you have lost a few chimney bricks, you have to wonder where they went. Whether they have fallen to the interior or exterior of your chimney, you are facing a serious problem and should consider immediate chimney repair. 

When bricks fall to the inside of a chimney, they block the updraft. 

Without the air pulling gas out of the house, the gas will enter the home and surrounding areas through any cracks in the chimney or liner. In addition to posing a risk for carbon monoxide, a collapsing chimney can fall onto the roof and ground near the roof. This is clearly a dangerous situation.

Signs of a Problem with the Chimney Flue

You’ve walked around your house and looked at the chimney. There aren’t any bricks missing, so you assume it’s safe to use. This seems like a sound plan, but problems with the flue don’t always show on the chimney exterior. 

Cracks in the flue and obstructions from bird nests or animals also pose a serious danger and can cause the chimney to become obstructed.

How do Chimneys Become Damaged?

Even a conscientious homeowner can miss early warning signs and eventually need chimney service and maintenance. Over time, the mortar between chimneys can become damaged and start to chip away, and this weakens the structure. 

Regardless of why the chimney is damaged, it’s important to invest in a quality chimney inspection before serious repairs are needed.

If you have a gas furnace flue at your home, you should invest in a chimney inspection. It’s vital to ensure that the updraft is properly working and that the flue does not have any cracks or blockages in it. Avoid the dangers of a collapsed chimney flue. Protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning by investing in regular chimney cleaning and chimney repair.

~ Ron Herman

~ Asking for Chimney Information ~

After reading an article, you can ask a question about that article. Replies will come from Chimney Professionals, and sometimes from homeowners, who are giving their answer based on the information you provide. Remember that they are providing answers SIGHT and SITE unseen! 

CHIMNEYS.COM recommends that you use these comments to better inform yourself to discuss your chimney and venting issues with a professional whom you call to your home to evaluate the issue.

To read more like the article above, click on the topic below...

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Looking for a Chimney Sweep?

Click to find…

Your Chimney Pro

Scroll to Top